Tools required for maintaining batteries
There are many tools that may help in properly caring for and maintaining batteries. Below is a list of essential items that are recommended for this task:
- Insulated tools sized to match nuts, bolts and cables in use
- Distilled water for flooded batteries (if not available, good clean tap water is better than nothing)
- Hydrometer for flooded batteries
- Post cleaner and wire brush
- Baking Soda
- Petroleum jelly
- Goggles, Gloves (wear polyester clothing)
- Fire extinguisher
CAUTION: Always wear protective clothing, gloves, and goggles when handling batteries, electrolyte, and charging your battery.
Batteries should be carefully inspected regularly to detect and correct potential problems before they can harm. It is a great idea to start this routine when the batteries are first received.