Cleaning Your Battery
Batteries seem to attract dust, dirt, and grime. Keeping them clean will help you spot trouble signs if they appear and avoid associated problems.
- Check that all vent caps are tightly in place (flooded batteries).
- Clean the battery top with a cloth or brush and a solution of baking soda and water.
- When cleaning, do not allow any cleaning solution or other foreign matter to get inside the battery (flooded batteries).
- Rinse with water and dry with a clean cloth.
- Clean battery terminals and the inside of cable clamps using a post and clamp cleaner.
- Clean terminals will have a bright metallic shine.
- Reconnect the clamps to the terminals and thinly coat them with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to prevent corrosion.
- Keep the area around the batteries clean and dry.