Why are calcium grids used in AGM and GEL batteries?
The Calcium-tin alloy used in Discover VRLA DRY CELL AGM and GEL batteries gives the grid the necessary mechanical stability it needs as well as guarantees low gassing behaviors which allow for the batteries to be produced as a Sealed and Valve Regulated technology. The tin added to the alloy provides higher grid strength and corrosion resistance similar to a low antimony grid. Discover alloy’s using calcium-tin also allow for a very efficient battery with low internal resistance when compared with antimony alloys.
In addition, Discover pays a great deal of attention to the overall electrochemical battery design details when producing our industrial grade Deep Cycle Calcium-tin Semi-Traction AGM and GEL batteries such as:
- Over dimensioning the positive to negative active material ratio to ensure the negative plate is never fully charged or the positive fully discharged.
- Tightly controlling the specific gravity and volume of electrolyte in such a way that the battery attains the expected design life (under normal operating conditions), taking into account:
- The rate of recombination
- The corrosion of the positive electrode/plate (oxygen consumption)
- The hydrogen diffusion rate that may occur through the cell container